Sunday

Humor Memoir : Brian Frazier's 'Hyper-chondriac'


And this is why I don't do MySpace. Not when you have "friends" like Sen. Barack Obama spamming you the way this LOL comedian describes. In an Op-Ed piece in the L.A. Times, hilarious Brian Frazier satirizes the world's most dangerous social network and presidential candidate who uses it most carelessly. "I'm Sorry Barack, We're Through" is about the funniest thing I've read in months. A taste of Frazier's goodies:

Obama's (Spam) Subject: "NEW VIDEOS"

Barack announced that he "just put two new videos" on his page. Which isn't really a reason to brag. I mean, I have five videos on YouTube and don't feel the need to tell everyone in my address book. Plus, at the end of the bulletin, he adds that he's "working on getting some podcasts back on the page." If you can't figure out MySpace, are you ready to run a country?
Brian Frazier received excellent reviews for his humor memoir, Hyper-chondriac: One Man's Quest to Hurry Up and Calm Down.
Glowing book reviews for Frazier include...

"Frazer's first book is the perfect medicine for anyone suffering from a case of treacly-memoir syndrome. Hilarious and biting, Hyper-Chondriac recounts the author's lifelong battle with various ailments and maladies, ranging from minor instances of frostbite to rage-filled meltdowns. Frazer's reflections are distinct and laugh-out-loud funny. During a teen rendezvous, Frazer contemplates how his date, suffering from scoliosis, removes her brace: 'It probably had to involve her entire family, as if they were an Indy pit crew.' It's that kind of spiked, wickedly funny observation that makes this sickness-filled book so easy to swallow. A-"
-- Entertainment Weekly

"How did Brian Frazer take his neuroses and write a hysterical book, while mine just annoy my family? Seriously, this is one funny book. Damn it."
-- Ray Romano

"Hyper-chondriac is my new favorite memoir! It was so funny I laughed out loud, so honest I gasped out loud and so relatable I immediately called my therapist. I love this book!"
-- Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, author of Sippy Cups are Not for Chardonnay
Since I'm such a youuuge fan of humor memoirs and soon will have my own humor memoir published, I'll have to stop at Borders while I'm out and check on "Hyper-chondriac." Sounds as though Frazier's writing very funny stuff, in a zone that takes you to the edge -- perhaps where my faves, David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs, so boldly go.

One day, you'll see cool book reviews praising a humor memoirist named Viqi French, right along side the dopest there are: David Sedaris, Augusten Burroughs and from the looks of it, possibly Brian Frazier, too.

Links:
~ David Sedaris [NPR audio catalog]
~ Augusten Burroughs [blog] [NPR audio of Burroughs's mom denying her treatment of him].



Related Posts



3 comments:

Jason - GorillaSushi said...

I'll have to check him out - I'm a huge David Sedaris fan. Ever seen him read live?

kweenkong said...

Yep, Jason. I saw Sedaris two years ago in NYC, at the Barnes & Noble in Union Square. You have never seen a book store so packed. It was nuts! What a following.

Jason - GorillaSushi said...

I've seen him twice over the last year. I'll try to remember to mention next time he's coming around!

"Urban Islands" Photo Gallery | Viqi French



Picaboo